View Single Post
Old 03-28-2011, 09:03 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Need help choosing a new 5wt

Quote:
Originally Posted by get_jiggy View Post
Hey all,

I am in the market for a new 5wt. because I left mine on the side of the road like a big dummy.

I work in Alaska so will be using it for some Salmon fishing, nothing too big though I am told that a 5wt. works fine. I also do some river trout fishing and freshwater bass when I am back in the lower 50.

Not looking to spend more than 300, although if the price is right I would maybe consider going up to 400.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Joking aside, a 3 lb trout in a little creek feels big on a 5 wt...wait till you get a "little salmon" in a big current; you'll snap your 5 wt or run the backing off your reel.

If you are considering spending up to 400, you can get two very nice rods...maybe a 5 and an 8wt. Plenty of quality $200 rods out there.