View Single Post
Old 03-30-2011, 04:19 PM

tandrin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Advice for Caye Caulker

Just got back from Caye Caulker and loved it. It is not a pseudo resort island like Ambergris. It was exactly what we were looking for on an island in Belize. Lots of local island culture (the I & I Reggae Bar is officially my favorite bar!), no crowds, great food, and personalized friendly attention. Everyone we talked to that went to Ambergris told us not to bother.

There is really no wade fishing around CC - it is all done on a skiff. I used Angler's Abroad and was very happy. Both Ken and Parnell have excellent reputations and it is clear why. A full day with lunch and beverages for 2 is $330 per boat ($250 half day) in March which for my first trip was worth it. I had the boat to myself but Angler's Abroad would set you up to share if you wanted.

There were plenty of bonefish to be had although they are smaller than places like Turneffe (lots of schools too which generally means smaller fish). On multiple days I saw some 6-8+ pounders hanging around Belize Diving Services docks but I didn't dare cast in between all of those pylons. I consistently got on a couple of schools of permit on numerous days too.

I will definitely be back but there are some others islands to the south and west where I must go to play first.