View Single Post
Old 04-02-2008, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Largemouth bass rod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
I like a faster rod because when it comes to setting the hook I need all the help I can get.

The TFOs are good, but I don't think most of them come with cases.

I'd look at a Cabelas LST or a used St. Croix Ultra Legend. Depending on the
size of the bass you'll want a seven- or an eight-weght.

Randy
Setting the hook with the rod on a largemouth is askin for trouble. Y'all need to be using the strip-strike.

When you want to set the hook, strip about a foot of line hard, straight in line with the rod pointed at the fish. Bass have much harder mouths than trout, and you're trying to shove a much thicker wire into their face. Another advantage of the strip set is that if the fly comes out of the bass' mouth, its only a foot away, instead of 9'+ that a rod swing moves the fly.

For a fly rod to actually have the power to set a big fly's hook into a bass' mouth, its gotta be a 10 wt at least.

If you want a good rod for the money to throw big bass flies (bigger than your pinky), a ECHO or TFO 9wt would be a good choice.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.