View Single Post
Old 03-31-2011, 06:36 PM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Best way to more distance ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Pegboy: Why the obsession with so much distance, are you fish salt or after steelhead on big rivers, maybe switching to a spey rod would be a better fit (just curious)?

Larry
No problem. My obsession with distance is nothing more than a personal endevor. One of my very favorite relaxation practices (when not fishing) is simply going to a park and practicing my fly casting. I try to get out when the weather is nice 3 or 4 times a week, and many weeks every day. I love the alone time. When you practice casting that much inevitably you start laying out some distance casts. The first launch of my 105' triangle taper 8wt to the backing got the juices going, and its been my obsession ever since.I figure if I can get a 5wt out 110+ feet I can be In a very small minority of fly casters. Thats all.

Second reason: In these days of internet forums, if I'm going to spout off on a specific rods reserve power, I want to actually know what I'm talking about... How can I ever comment on a fast action rod if I can't let her rip?

Last edited by pegboy1; 03-31-2011 at 07:59 PM.