View Single Post
Old 04-03-2008, 10:30 AM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Fly casting lessons scheduled:)

I'd pick up a good book on technique and learn it. The next thing is to take an actual casting lesson/clinic for beginners to put your book learning to muscle memory. Thereafter take 15" out of your day to unwind in your lawn or backyard and just cast 20' until you can somewhat mimic the motions. Move out to 40-50' but don't be disheartened by your mistakes. Just practice daily going back to your readings. When you get to your destination, you'll at least be able to cast 20-50ft and focus on refining those casts, presenting your fly to the fish, and playing one up to your net. It's a journey and not so much a destination so I hope you can enjoy the views and experiences along the way there. Many here will never forget that moment when it all gels together and you cast your first hand tied fly with all hope and successfully draw a nice fish-hopefully in the presence of good friends or family. I have that first moment on tape and view it fondly every so many years. Have a great trip!
Racine