View Single Post
Old 01-30-2005, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones
Default Cimarron

TJ

One good thing about the Cimarron is that it doesn’t require a lot of knowledge to fish unless you’re a total beginner. There are several good times throughout the year to fish it depending on the hatch.

My favorite time is early June. A major stonefly hatch comes off usually around late May and last several weeks. Its pretty consistent. The first or second week of June is a great time to be there. The summer crowds have not yet gotten there and the weather is just right. Its still a good idea to go during the week rather than the weekend so you can have even more water to yourself. This is dry fly fishing at its best. The 4,000 Browns per mile are coming up to slam the stones. Size 14 yellow stimulators work great all day long.

The Cimarron River runs about 12 miles through Cimarron Canyon State Park. The river is never far from the highway so water access is very easy. There are no cabins but there are plenty of camping facilities inside the park including RV sites. I usually stay at the four-room motel just outside the park entrance gate in Ute, NM. I think the name is Pine Point Lodge. Its only about $50 for nice room with two beds. You can also go into Eagle Nest or Red River, NM for nicer accommodations and more things to do outside of fishing.

Now, there are two sections of private water on the Cimarron. The Holy Water and the Cita Ranch (Dream Water). You must have a guide to fish these areas but the fishing is fantastic and you’ll be the only person fishing that area. Doc Thompson of High Country Anglers is a guide that I would highly recommend for Northeast NM including the Cimarron. His web site is at www.flyfishnewmexico.com I have used Doc before and he is a very good guide and the education alone that you’ll get from him is worth the guide fee.

Our local fly fishing club, the Lone Star Fly Fishers of Tyler www.lsff.com, tries to make a Cimarron trip each year. Maybe you can join us this June. Perhaps we could make it a dual club outing and the Hub City Tiers could join us.

Thanks,
Steve