View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011, 05:48 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beginner nymphing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by j43jacko View Post
What way would be the easiest for me to learn how to nymph? Using an indicator or just putting on a split shot and casting upstream and detecting the strike by feel?
I think it would be much easier for you to first start with an indicator. Here is a basic setup: On the leader (say 9ft 4x), attach some sort of indicator (the thingamabobber is real popular, I like white, and shy away from the bright colors on pressured water) to the leader (positioned 1 1/2 to 2 times the water depth). At the bottom of the leader attach a piece of 5x tippet to the leader (I like the double surgeons knot) and at the bottom of the tippet attach your first nymph. About 8-12 inches above the first fly attach a small weight. Using a Clinch Knot or improved Clinch Knot attach a second piece of 5x tippet to the hook bend of the first fly, then at the far end tie on the second fly. Your leader and tippet sizes are going to be dependant on the depth of water you fish, how big the fish are and how much fishing pressure those fish see daily. As you move around in the stream you will want to constantly check the indicator to be sure you are at 1 1/2 to 2 times the water depth and how much weight you are using. Slow water, smaller amounts of weight and faster water will require adding more weight.
Here are a few videos to get you started.
The North American Fly Fishing Forum - Nymphing Setup-Double Nymphs-How To

If you are interested in more videos, just do a search on YouTube.

Larry