View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011, 07:02 PM

al_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Beginner nymphing?

Having gone through the beginner stage of nymphing about 15 years ago when I first started fly fishing seriously, I'd say Larry's advice is perfect. Only thing I do differently is in the rigging...

At the end of your leader, tie on a single length of tippet (I usually go with 3X or 4X fluorocarbon) that is about 24 inches long, using the double surgeon's knot. Pick out a top nymph, which will usually be a little bigger than your bottom nymph, and tie it onto the tippet with a PALOMAR knot, so that it ends up about 6-8 inches below the knot connecting tippet to leader, and leaving the long tag end that you'll have with a palomar knot. At the end of that long tag end of your tippet, tie on your other fly. Put a split shot just ABOVE the knot attaching tippet to leader. That knot will keep the split shot from sliding down the line as it inevitably loosens a bit. Other than that, the only difference between my set-up and what Larry recommended is that the line will come off the eye of the first nymph, instead of the bend of the hook (which in my experience doesn't matter much), but it means you have one less knot to tie, and with cold hands or low light the fewer knots you have to tie, the better!

Best place to learn nymphing is in fairly fast-moving water 2-4 feet deep. Put on enough weight to have your split shot just ticking the bottom once it gets down--you'll see your indicator vibrating or bobbing just a bit. Mending your line to keep it from "pulling" on your indicator is one of the most important things to learn, and detecting strikes is the other...anytime your indicator does something different--pauses, bobs a little bit more than normal bottom ticking, moves sideways, or suddenly disappears, set the hook.