View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011, 10:11 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best way to more distance ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegboy1 View Post
No problem. My obsession with distance is nothing more than a personal endevor. One of my very favorite relaxation practices (when not fishing) is simply going to a park and practicing my fly casting. I try to get out when the weather is nice 3 or 4 times a week, and many weeks every day. I love the alone time. When you practice casting that much inevitably you start laying out some distance casts. The first launch of my 105' triangle taper 8wt to the backing got the juices going, and its been my obsession ever since.I figure if I can get a 5wt out 110+ feet I can be In a very small minority of fly casters. Thats all.

Second reason: In these days of internet forums, if I'm going to spout off on a specific rods reserve power, I want to actually know what I'm talking about... How can I ever comment on a fast action rod if I can't let her rip?
Pegboy: Sounds like a good reason to me! I'm betting that by practicing 3-4 times a week already puts you in a very elite group of fly casters, let alone being able to eventually be able to cast over 100 ft. Best of luck in attaining your goal!

Larry

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
Peg,

If you are still around, here is a great article you might be interested in. It's a PDF file.

It's written in easy to understand language by Al Kyte and Gary Moran about an analysis they did of two groups of casters : "Good" casters and "Elite" casters casting the same equipment in the same conditions under the same circumstances while being taped with two video cameras and analyzed later.

It is probably the best article I've ever read on straightforward casting and it is aptly titled "Going for Distance".

http://www.fedflyfishers.org/Portals...20Distance.pdf

I would highly recommend it for all. It is not that long and is very interesting.

Cheers,
Jim
Jim: Thanks for sharing, that was a very interesting article.

Larry

Larry