View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 02:29 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: What do you consider a "caught" fish?

Funny you should bring this up...being that we are in the brotherhood of truth stretchers (get mad if ya want, it's the truth), I pondered this myself this weekend.

I hooked only 4 fish this past weekend. The one I caught (landed) to hand was a 22" pig of a 'bow. The other three were hooked and played but one broke off (one was larger than the one I landed and I fought it for 10 minutes trying to get it out of some deep, fast water). I only consider the one one landed to hand as caught.

I look at it like this:

If a cop was chasing someone down and he collared the perp and handcuffed him, he's caught. But if he collared the perp and the perp got loose and took off (pepper spray or stun guns notwithstanding), the cop can't go back and tell his boss that he "caught" the perp because he's not there to book.

If a fish is hooked and you land him, everything went right on your end to make it happen: you played it fish right, the knots held, the rod/reel did it's job and you finished the job. If the fish broke off/tossed the hook/whatever, the fish won the encounter.

I guess it's more than my usual $.02 deposited.