View Single Post
Old 04-07-2011, 08:06 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Glow in the dark flies

I have a lot and it has worked really well. I tie clousers where I put glow-in-the-dark flashabou in the belly. I mix it in the white bucktail and it does not change the way it looks in the day. I also paint the hourglass eyes with protec powder paint which glows. The flashabou, which is actually much more like crystal flash, is made by Hedron in Stillwater, Minnesota. When I fish in the dark I take a UV light and clip it to the shoulder strap of my waders. It charges the fly fast. It's made to clip to the brim of a ball cap, but I don't like them there. Regular white light ones work pretty well, just not as fast. try and find the UV ones if you can. Here is one pattern clouser I tie. Notice the belly. The twisted fibers are the glow-in-the-dark flashabou.
Click the image to open in full size.
Here is an example of how well it works.
Click the image to open in full size.
One more quick note, not everything that glows in the ocean is poisonous. I was diving in Gaum in the dark and had a school of squid swim past me that bioluminesced really cool colors in moving patterns. Very surreal looking. Squid are very edible. In fact hot behind them were fish making a midnight snack of them. There are a ton of hardware type baits like Reef Runners that have glow color patterns. Twister tails that glow. jiigs that glow. (Lord forgive me for mentioning non-fly tackle here.) Judging by the sheer number of glow baits out there, it must not be to bad an idea.

Last edited by Guest1; 04-07-2011 at 08:21 PM.