Thread: Uplining
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2008, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Uplining

Hi Castaway,

Most rods are designed to cast a particular line weight best. If you over or under line a rod the performance is dependent on the rod. Lets say you get an 8wt line for your rod. You don't say what rod it is so we don't know the action. You can over line best with a fast action rod. So your 6wt rod is designed to cast a 160 grain line. You now want to throw a 210 grain line. This is going to slow the action of you rod way down and some rods may not cast it at all. What you have to do is shorten the amount of line you have out of the tip so you don't overload the rod. If you are good at double hauling you might be able to make up for the loss of line outside the tip by shooting more line. That is not easy to do with a big old heavy Clauser. So if you must over line I would not go more than a 7wt. Again it depends on what rod you have.

Now here is my very best advice. If you want to throw big heavy flies for bass you need to upgrade to a 8wt rod or even a 9wt if really big bass are available. Trying to make you 6wt do what an 8wt does is not in the cards. That is why there are different weights of rods. Different rods for different applications. You might be satisfied throwing big heavy flies with a 6wt rod and a 8wt line but it is not something I would want to do.

So here is my next very best advice. Buy an 8wt Bass taper line and give it a try. If it does not work you can buy an 8wt rod and you will all ready have the line. In either case you will be able to use the 8wt line.

Frank

AFTMA Fly line weight ratings (grains)

Weight Grains Tolerable Range

1 60....................54-66
2 80....................74-86
3 100..................94-106
4 120..................114-126
5 140..................134-146
6 160..................152-168
7 185..................177-193
8 210..................202-218
9 240..................230-250
10 280.................270-290
11 330.................318-342
12 380.................368-392

Grains are weighed over front 30 feet of line.