View Single Post
Old 04-10-2011, 12:15 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Re: Switch-Youth-Fly

Fred, I wouldn't live in a flood plain, it might not happen for a hundred years, but it will happen. That's what a flood plain is for.
I think the final snow total is nearer 725", maybe third biggest (Although the NWS has only kept track for 124-5 ? years. (HA!))
(The scary part is, we didn't get any snow for 4-5 weeks in Jan, and a couple of the last storms were light enough to fish through.)
A portion of the snow pack has already settled, melted, evaporated.
It is still very big up on the Sierra crest. The resorts here won't stay open for it ($), but you can ski the 4th of July this year if you're inclined, hell even Sept..(There's typical local ski/fish all the year.)
Out sheds, decks, and cars have been crushed. Some houses with 13' on top of the peak. Cornices almost too big to drop (ski term). A roof can unload on you while shoveling......multi-story icicles...
People up higher were going in and out of the second story doors on the deck. Or, digging down to the front door through a tunnel. No light in the first story windows. Serious cabin fever.
Personally, I have reached my life tonnage. I will shovel no more. (Besides, my snow shovel blew away while camping out at Pyramid Lake.)
It has been freezing hard at night, so "for now" we have a time delay release. Perfect so far!!
The fear is that we get a drenching tropical rain from Hawaii, or that it turns 80 degrees, or both.
That basically almost happened in 1996-7. They don't know how big it got up here, because the gauge (the one high on the bank) washed away. Lost a small diversion damn too. And nine out of twelve bridges between TC and Truckee.
They don't fill the reservoirs now, till late spring, if at all. They fear not having anyplace to put all the water after MAX capacity. If that happens, don't wait for a warning, just head for high ground.
They are going to raise the top of Stampeed damn, not for permanent storage of water, but for increased capacity, in case......the term I use is, catsrophic melt.
It pretty much blows out the fishing too.

Jim

Last edited by Bigfly; 04-10-2011 at 04:12 PM.