View Single Post
Old 08-15-2005, 11:57 AM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough
Default LMFR Fishing Report by Terry Will

Hi, I'm Terry Will. I'm new to the art of Fly Fishing so I set out to try my hand at the Lower Mountain Fork River in Beaver Bend State Park just outside of Broken Bow, OK about 2+ hours from Longview, TX. I'm a member of East Texas Fly Fishers Club and wanted to share with everyone what a great time I had on Sunday Aug. 14, 2005.

I had much better luck this time around for a beginner. I start at the Spillway at dawn (6:30ish) using my trusted
Elk Hair Caddis fly and caught one after about 6 casts. You could see fish everywhere at the spillway and I have learned that presentation is everything. Especially, when you see fish and fish see you. I'm still working on the presentation thing and I'm getting a little better as time goes by. I found a pool of still water at the spillway with a load of brownies. So, I decided to use something small that sits in still water and came up with the Griffith's Gnat. I caught about four fish with it in that pool. As it warmed up I switched to the Elk Hair Caddis again and caught about 3 more browns and my last one was a beautiful rainbow.

At Eleven I visited Three Rivers Fly Shop and had a chance to talk to Jesse & Linda King. Jesse suggested that I go down to Zone 2 on the Old Park dam and fish a while. I only had about a half hour fishing there before generation with no luck.

I ask Jesse about the Evening Hole Project and what the ODWC plan was for it (see link http://www.threeriversflyshop.com/thread/index.html ). So I visited the Evening Hole (Zone I) to see what a pretty place it is (see previous link). Jesse mentioned that a Mayfly hatch occurs there in the evening there goes the name Evening Hole. I still didn't have any luck here as well but I had a great time none the less.

I traveled back to the spillway one last time and caught one more brown on the Caddis. All in all I had a great time and was blessed with a beautiful day of trout fishing. I learned a lot and learned that there is a lot to learn. I look forward to it.