View Single Post
Old 04-13-2011, 11:48 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you consider a "caught" fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
Gotta be in the net/hand with actual removing of the hook.
I had one happen a bunch of years ago om the North shore of Lake Superior. I had a really big Kamloops strain Rainbow on. Got it all the way to shore. My buddy Dave got it in the net, up out of the water, and then slipped on the ice on the rocks. His feet went up shoulder high and the first part of him to hit the ground was about his shoulders. He had the sense left when he impacted to grab the fish by the tail as it was headed back into the lake. It jerked his hand two or three good times and left nothing but a V in the water as it disapeared. It unhooked itself in the net, even leaving me a bonus lure from having broke some guy off, probably trolling earlier. It was the biggest Looper I have ever hooked into of course, (no photo or tape measurement exists to prove it wasn't) and my buddy felt like he had committed a crime. I generally don't get upset loosing big fish, and I didn't with this one eihter. My friend took it way harder than I did. In summary, I hooked it, fought it to the net, had it up out of the water and it uh....was unhooked. The only thing I didn't get was a photo. If I was going to count a fish as caught I didn't intentionally let go, that would be it.