Thread: Jumping fish
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011, 10:18 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jumping fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
A good tactic I learned early in my fly fishing experience is to "give them the rod tip" whenever they jump - just drop the rod tip and stretch your arm towards the fish. This feeds just enough slack into the line that when the fish re-enters the water it's not as big a jolt to leader and tippet. Not sure there is science behind it, but I've gotten in the habit of it and rarely lose fish when they jump.

Kelly.
Kelly, good tip, but I'm a slow learner, I'm usually sitting there dumbfounded when the fish comes out of the water and forget to lower the rod tip. I lost three really nice trout last weekend because of that!

Larry