View Single Post
Old 04-22-2011, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Ketchin' Fish... the OLD fashioned way.

Too cool Milt!

As you know, one good story deserves another, so...............

I never had that happen but once caught a really big brook trout in Slate Run (PA) that had a snelled #4 bait hook lodged way deep on the tongue almost into the gullet. Slate Run is a non-stocked no kill Heritage Trout stream with fly fish only regulations. This fish lived in a pool behind a cabin with a big sign hanging over the front porch. The sign proclaimed the cabin to be "The Devils Den", honest, that's what it said. I had found evidence of poaching in the area around Devils Den for years but this was the first time I had found a survivor. I knew most of the fish in the 'Frances Branch' of Slate Run and I could tell when someone had been poaching them. The cabin in question is about a quarter mile below the confluance of France Branch and Colemans run, these two beautiful brooks join to form the famous Slate.

The fish must have been ready to throw in the towel because he (it was a male) hung himself on my 'Lew Oatman's Brook Trout Minnow' in a size 4. He was only lip hooked and as I took out the un-barbed streamer I noticed the loop with the broken mono knot protruding from his mouth. That's how deep the hook was, only the loop was sticking out! This was a real trophy size brookie, the kind you want to see breeding so I had to think this over before doing anything. I pulled him back out of my little net and took a second look. after the second opinion I decided to take the hook out of his throat. With no one to even blot the perspiration from my brow I worked as careful as could be with my forceps. Now remember this was a big one and I could reach in there with out dislocating his jaw, I got it! And I got it with no bleeding! I then spent the next 45 minutes moving him to a stretch of water with good bedrock shelves for cover that was at least a half mile from The Devils Den.

It's not 'just a fish',

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 04-22-2011 at 07:07 PM.