View Single Post
Old 04-22-2011, 06:28 PM
chrome_jones will become famous soon enoughchrome_jones will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Casting weighted streamers

There is some good advice here, but it's vague advice. I think some more specifics on your rod wt/line choice/leader type and length/ fly wt would yield some more specific, good advice on your trouble. I only chime in because, I really received no formal education on casting, and it is taking me forever to learn the hard way. I have tended to find my own solutions, but slowly, through "A-HA" moments. I am a horrible caster, considering how many flies I've thrown. Being not a part of a local fly fishing community, and most of the people I know gear fish or don't fish. I just do my own thing. Even though my fly buddies that introduced me to this are split-shot, big pooftie-yarn-dicator types or straight dry fly guys, I wandered away toward big ugly streamers, cuz it was fun to me. What I do know is that the article Rip Tide posted sounds a lot like what I spent years trying to figure out alone, mostly cuz no-one I fished with was doing it. I just read that article, but I think I'm gonna read it three more times. It's making sense. It sounds like what I've discovered slowly by accident, wish I woulda been reading about fly casting a long time ago, no one told me. I didn't learn basketball from a book or magazine, but I'm pretty damn good at it. Just realizing, fly fishing is a different kinda sport.

Big uglies cast quite different. It's not the rod, as you wondered and were asking, as I have several, distinctly different rod actions in my quiver, and I have been forced to learn to throw streamers on each. It's my tempo that needs to adjust, and the length of line I choose to let out the tip top at the starting point that changes with each rod/line/leader/fly combo. And each combo takes me a while to figure out as I change setups. But now, reading that midcurrent article. I think thats an absolute, spot on, place to start. Then start adjusting your tempo to find the balance. And hey, give some more info here, you might have a rigging issue you don't realize. Someone might notice, and likely, would be happy to help I'm sure. In the mean time, hell yes, we all catch a few shots in the back of the head, cause its an awkward casting style at first. Throw some more of the 411 on your rig.

Good luck,