View Single Post
Old 04-24-2011, 07:46 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Ketchin' Fish... the OLD fashioned way.

I have one too (its true I swear), or as we said in the navy, this is a real no-sh*****) story.

I took my 8 year old to a little put and take pond a couple years ago, not sure how he did it, but somehow he managed to hook a 12 inch trout on his bobber setup with a GRHE on the end, then break it off above the bobber. well, this is a small pond, only about 12 feet deep, and an acre or two of water - I can see this fish swimming around the pond, doing the Jaws thing as milt mentioned above.

I followed this fish around the pond, casting a weighted fly at the bobber, until I was eventually able to snag the line below the bobber and reel him in. the boys rig was hooked just inside the trouts mouth, so, forceps to remove, let him rest a bit, and send him on his way. I don't doubt he was someones dinner (cormorant or one of the bait fisherman loading up thier dinner buckets) but that is ok, in this pond they don't last long, it is in town, and like I said put and take primarly for those that want a fresh trout dinner, but it was still fun, catching the bobber (fishing from shore), and I felt good about not just letting him float around with it stuck in his mouth til he died.

d