View Single Post
Old 04-21-2008, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: problem with new sage rod

Welcome to the group! I guess my profs we're bigger on paragraphs than yours.

I'm guessing that one of two things caused the problem:
1- Both rods were from the same production run and had the same problem that caused the problem. Could have been faulty blank, epoxy (glue), or assembly, or even a combination of two of those.

2- The ferrule could be loosening slightly at that joint. If this isn't noticed, and you continue to cast the rod, ferrule damage is MUCH more likley. This is how most incidences of ferrule damage occur.

Either way, I would still send the second rod back for a replacement. A cracked ferrule may not render a rod useless, but it greatly increases the chances that you'll snap the rod on the final false cast before delivering a tightly looped cast to a 22" fish on the far bank, and find yourself physically unable to cuss loud enough.

Once the new rod arrives, treat the ferrules with about as much trust as a pathological liar deserves. For the first 10 outings with it, check the ferrules very frequently to make sure they are staying snugly joined. (I'm saying this based on your recent track record, not because Sage sux at making ferrules) I'd also suggest assembling the ferrules with a quarter twist, and use an amount of pressure equal to a firm handshake when doing so. Applying either too much or too little pressure increases the chances of problems.

I apologize for what may sound like an insulting tone, but I'm just trying to give the best advice for your situation.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.