View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 03:04 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Decisions decisions....

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmule View Post
Hi all,

I'm a newbie to the sport and the forum. Be gentle

I'm trying to decide between a Lamson Konic 2 and an Allen Trout Reel for a 5 wt rod (primarily trout fishing).

Other Reels I considered but am not as excited about are the Loomis Venture, Sage 1850, and Orvis BBS.

My budget is about $125ish and I will likely be pairing this reel with an Echo Carbon.

Ideas or recommendations? Thanks!
My take on the Lamson Konic is this; it is one of the best functioning drags I've ever felt...super smooth and great range. The downside to that reel is that it is not "machined", it is cast. There is some argument as to just how much weaker the reel is, but it is to some degree less durable than a bar stock machined reel.

The Allen I just got looks great and the drag seems to work great; it is a machined reel. Justin seems to be doing most things right. There have been some complaints about shipping times, which he has blamed on too many orders, no help, and order system changeover. I got mine in about 8 days. Take that for what it is, some peoples experiences and reviews. The reels seem solid.

I LOVE the Orvis BBS reels, but I can't stand the standard arbor reels. It is a tried and true reel, with a lifetime warranty from one of the best. You Might want to reconsider that one.

Considering you will have to buy line also, you might want to check out this e-bay deal. The Redington Rise with free line and backing for $149. You are going to pay $6 for backing, and a minimum of 20 bucks on line so this is a pretty good deal and in your price range. I have handled these reels and they feel very solid. Machined, nice top end drag setup at a medium price.

NEW REDINGTON RISE FLY FISHING REEL 3/4 FREE $40 LINE + | eBay

Or shop elsewhere on e-bay if you are e-bay savy. Plenty of options there, used, closeouts, may get more bang for your buck.

Just noticed that link is for a 3/4 reel. You may want this one, $158, but also comes with free line:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-REDINGTON-RI...item48401e8555