View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Let's Talk About Knives.....................

Jason,

Whenever I can I sharpen my blades under my 4X magnifier that I use for tying. With the bright light and magnifier it is clear that many knives have a different bevel on each side. I simply follow the existing angle on either side of the edge and they turn out paper shaving sharp.

We have a sharpening pro who has been watching the thread and I hope he will answer also. I think this is done by the manufacturer to create a longer lasting edge. If both bevel are identical the resulting edge will be thinner and thus not as resilient under use. With one side being a longer or deeper bevel and the other being more steep the resulting edge is still sharp but is also more stout.

Does that make sense? Follow the existing bevels, don't try to change them.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;