View Single Post
Old 04-24-2008, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yellowstone or Wind River

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PawsRiver View Post
My Nephew and I are planning a trip to Wyoming, landing at Jackson Hole on Aug 17th, fishing till the 25th. We are looking to put together a 8-12 mile remote round trip, hitting a few streams and small lakes for trout.

I was initially looking at the Wind River Wilderness area, but thought Yellowstone might be more suited to what we're looking for.

Ordered a couple books, have done a lot of reading and really feel like I'm not getting it or August is not so good.

My early research indicated that Aug was a good month to be there, but now I'm starting to second guess.

I already did my interduction, so I will bother you gentlemen with a couple questions..............was August a mistake and do you have to camp in a campground in Yellowstone. Our intention was to hike in to a nice stretch of river and camp along it, hike to another stream, same thing, but if I'm reading right you can only camp in a campground?

Thanks in advance for any help, and I'm sorry in advance for the many questions I will bother you with
Hello Mark, glad to meet you.

Quick question for you first. You mentioned that "Yellowstone might be suited a little more for what your looking for". What is it that you are looking for?

IMHO Yellowstone is still going to be crowded until after Labor Day, and the Wind River Wilderness shouldn't be near as busy. I've not been to the WRW yet, so I may be up in the night. lol

Yes, in the Park you have to stay in a designated spot when camping, I'm not sure about 'Potty Facilites', meaning I don't know if you have to pack out your own 'waste' to be disposed of @ a sanitation facility, or if you can legally dig and bury 'human waste'.

Yellowstone has some very beautiful places, but I've seen some pics from WRW that are mind bending gorgeous.

I think you will have a great time in either place.

'Davo' is a guide out of Jackson, maybe he will have some more definate answers for you. Hopefully he will see this thread and reply, if he doesn't reply soon, you could always p.m. him.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/