View Single Post
Old 05-05-2011, 11:10 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dumb Question Regarding Hooksets

Another thought just crossed my mind: length of leader. The longer it is, the more important the 'strip set' becomes.

Ramping this up to 2-hander rods with a full floating line 'my norm' was a 15' RIO leader, with a two fly set up, that could extend to close to 18 feet. About 18'ish months ago spent 4 days with Mark B (flyfishusa) at his 'camp' on the Deschutes.

First morning I 'missed' the hook set on several fish and Mark pulled out a 9' packet of the same sort of RIO leader .. just 9' long and a swap this out for that.

Never looked back. Mark's point (reasonable guess here) is that with an ultra long leader, until it straightens out on the swing, there's a lot of wiggly stuff. You set the hook and all you're really doing is taking the slack out of what's there. With a shorter leader ... far less of that's going to happen.

Balance of the 4 days Charlie and I hooked/released at least 25 fish between us and probably lost as many more.

Ah, poor Mark .... two guys who know how to use 2-handers, fish are stacked up right in front of our tents. What's a Fellow to do, why would Charlie/I want to run up-down the river in his jet boat to find better fishing?

'Mark, for Heaven's Sake, pull out your rod and go fishing.' He did, damned glad I had my video camera with me. He stuck fish after fish, after fish. Talk about a "Buss-man's holiday!" DVD to prove it.

Bye the bye, he's a darned good cook.

fae