View Single Post
Old 05-05-2011, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Noob needs help.

Hi whoknows,

I have never seen a Ross Flyrise but here are some things I would check out.

Here are the specs for the Flyrise.

Frame/Spool Material High quality aluminum alloy

Manufacturing Specifications Pressure-fed cast aluminum, 1 piece frame, 2 piece assembled spool, machine finished

They state it is pressure fed cast and not HIgh Pressure Fed cast. This may be a standard cast reel. Not the best choice. Used to lower cost. I would really check out the two piece spool. How are the two pieces connected together?

Drag Material Delrin 500AF with impregnated Teflon - space-age polymer that is durable, heat resistant, self-lubricating and maintenance free

Drag Mechanism Delrin 500AF to anodized aluminum interface - conical friction drag system with triple redundancy radial pawl engagement and seamless transition between line-in and drag engagement (no start-up friction)

Spool Rotation, Connection and Conversion Oil impregnated bronze bushing rotating on a stainless steel spindle, quick release locking spool, easy left-hand to right-hand retrieve conversion

This is apparently a sleeve bearing reel. A sleeve bearing is reliable but not the quality of a ball bearing mounted spool.

Finish Electrostatically coated with proprietary aerospace grade polyurethane (AGP) for the perfect balance of hardness and color

This is basically a painted reel. Not as tough of a finish as some other finishes.

Fly Rod Coverage 2wt. - 9wt.

Fishing Application Designed for use in all freshwater, warmwater and saltwater fishing environments

AVAILABLE COLORS Black, Granite Grey

Lifetime Warranty

Lifetime warranty is always a good deal with a big company.

My comments are in blue. Of the three reels you have listed the Allen would be my choice. The Allen is the less expensive of the three and is a fully machined bar stock reel. In this price range the two best choices would be the Alley or a Konic. The Konic is a High Pressure casting that is finished machined. It is more expensive than the Allen.

I don't own a Konic but I do own an Allen Trout reel. Very satisfied with the quality and performance of the Allen Trout reel.

Frank

Last edited by Frank Whiton; 05-05-2011 at 04:30 PM.