View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Reel Drag Type Question

I guess both replies have given an answer and there isn't much more to say but that never seems to stop me. I always used clickers for trout because they were what I owned. By the time I discovered disc drag reels I was fishing for big game and they made sense. Even after buying several of the early disc designs they still seemed woefully unable to handle Great Lakes Kings and lots of palming was needed.

MP is on the mark with his assessment of todays disc reels. They can be set as light as you need or as heavy as you need and have come a long way. This fact makes mojo's reply a good one too, use whatever you want or whatever you have because seldom does a trout grab a dry fly on a 7X tippet that is connected directly to the reel spool. We always seem to have at least a yard or so of line to play out before the fish is pulling against what ever reel is on the rod. It is possible that the site where you read the discussion about this is one where the splitting of hairs is often a hot topic. Common sense would be the guide here regardless of the reel you are using. If you are using a gossamer tippet then the most logical thing to do with any reel would be to have the drag set just to the point where it will stop over run of the spool. Beyond that; drag may be a manual thing. Having the disc will be a good thing if you are fishing for trout and end up with a monster on the hook.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;