View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Do I Need A Special Rod For Alaska?

Somehow even a discussion of fly rods digresses into a gun forum. For anyone who might plan to stay in one of the campgrounds at Russian River, these are very large developed places. Another thing to know is that the Russian River is a very shallow stream and quite small; this is why bears want to go there to catch fish. On any given day during the sockeye runs there are at least 1000 or more people crowded onto this small shallow river. The hype and fear of and about bears on the Russian has led to more bears being shot there and more confrontations than anywhere else that I know of.

I personally do not fish this river regardless of how many salmon crowd into the shallow flows. I have been there but on such occasions have witnessed more crowding, snagging, rudeness, and general bad behavior among a huge number of men (most of whom are either wearing side arms or have shotguns slung over their backs) than anywhere on the North American continent I have ever been.

I have said this before and will write it again. I spend as much or more time in Bush country than some guides and I do not live in fear of bears. The conditions that will invite a bear to a stream are pretty easy to spot and when you realize that you are trying to fish in a brown bears pantry there is a choice you must make. By staying you are crossing a line and taking a chance that may end up badly. I have been fortunate in my number of bear encounters but it is not the product of luck. It is the result of being careful. I may be killed by a bear this season because something totally uncontrollable happens but I would not bet on it. Although firearms are an important consideration when camping in some of the very remote places I fish my awareness of surroundings is more important than my reliance on ordinance and fire control.

It would be a wonderful thing if we could discuss the rods most applicable for fishing Alaska and not spend too much time worrying which gun to bring with.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;