View Single Post
Old 05-07-2011, 09:02 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: the effect of the digital world

Years ago, when I was working I realized I could make a bit more money sitting in a cubicle working 9-5:00, playing office politics and dreaming of my short vacation OR... I could make my own hours and plan my week around runs and hatches and carry a cell phone with me on the river to take and make calls as needed. It was a no brainer for me. Those who I fish with never knew I was conducting business unless I slowed the pace so much that they noticed. I didn't blab out loud or set the ringer on high and if a call was needed I stepped to the shore of the stream, sat on a bog and did my business in a quiet, unobtrusive manner. No one ever noticed or mentioned what I was doing. It was my call in doing this for sure but I would do it that way all over again in a heartbeat if I had to. It was just about perfect! Thank goodness for cell phones and the death of running off to find a working phone booth!
Now 2 way radio's! Man they can be obnoxious! If it isn't the insane ring tones they have it's the constant jabbering back and forth. They're not like a cell phone where at least one end of the conversation is muted. They're just plain loud both incoming and outgoing. Needed, yes at times but c'mon now, do you really need to constantly ask your pal who is within view if 'the hatch' is coming off around him... 300' away!
I like carrying a digital camera but now hardly use the darn thing. Maybe the novelty has worn off or maybe my fishing skills no longer warrant taking pictures!
What I can do without are posts that are way too long showing pictures of every single fish caught that day. After a while, to be honest, most fish look about the same. Exceptional fish I can understand taking and posting pictures of but every fish? Sometimes these are cookie-cutter stockers all raised at the same time with the same-looking blunt fins, pale colors and all withing an inch or two of each other. C'mon now... spare us the picture taking overload or we'll just have to confiscate your camera!