View Single Post
Old 05-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Reel Drag Type Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieof View Post
I just read on a site that disc drags should only be used for heavier tippets as the "break" torque required to start the slip would be above what a fine tippet can stand. Therefore, with a fine tippet, the "click" style should be used.

Makes sense to me, but do you agree?

Jamie.
Hi Jamie,

Lets think about this a little bit. A 7X tippet is rated for a 2lb breaking strength. I don't think there is any modern Trout fly reel that takes any where near two pounds of pressure to slip the drag. Add in the flex of the rod, the stretch of the fly line, the stretch in the leader and it just doesn't seem reasonable to me. Use what ever reel you like.

Just for kicks I looked in the pantry and it so happens that a can of El Paso Refried beans weighs 1lb. I picked up two to see how heavy two pounds is. It is a lot. I have never seen a trout reel that would require any where near that much weight to start the drag slipping on a light setting.

Now if you set the drag too heavy that would be a different situation.

Frank