View Single Post
Old 05-08-2011, 08:34 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all
Default Re: the effect of the digital world

At 41, I grew up kind of in between Old and New schools. And when I was younger I was all about the new, modern, high tech whatsiz gizmo of the week.

Now, I look at things differently. The only thing I bring with me when I'm on the water, is a camera. The phone stays in the car (not a big deal since 99% of the water I fish is without cell service), and since I've been reading maps and using compasses pretty regularly since I was about 9, I see no reason to carry a GPS. Besides, I don't want to lose the skill of map-reading and compass navigation. I've fished with guys with GPSs that get themselves lost. Or the batteries give out, and they get lost. It's amusing, but also a little disturbing.

Anyway, I purposely keep all electronics out of my fishing experience, except the camera. I'll take a few pics of the place, a couple of the fish, and a few of my friends. If I get lucky I might get a pic or two of a few herds of elk or whitetail, maybe a bobcat or a mountain lion, maybe even a bear.

Otherwise, I don't even wear a watch most of the time on the water. And I don't fish with people who insist on talking on the phone while fishing. It's almost as annoying as people who text while you're trying to have a conversation with them.

So, no phone, no GPS, no watch, no iPod (if that's the thing that holds 10,000 songs and sits in your shirt pocket. Fortunately for me, most of the guys I fish with are of the same mind, which is probably part of the reason we like to fish together. Just peace, quiet, and immersion in the environment you're in.

In other words, Facebook can wait for your update until you get home. Seriously.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark