View Single Post
Old 05-09-2011, 07:27 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need help picking my new Avid

I was going to buy a 7'9" Avid 3wt (IPC) because it was 40% off, but t was a noodle. I really wanted it, as I liked my 9' 5wt Avid, but a noodle is a noodle. Dropping down to 7' might tighten the action up a bit, regardless of the line weight. My 7' 4wt bamboo rod throws very tight loops, and does well in wind. When it arrived two years ago, my wife was casting it like a pro from the start. Dave Hughes wrote a book on small stream fishing, and he likes short 5 and 6 wt rods for that situation. He had a bunch of good reasons for liking the heavier line weights, and John Geirach says that he prefers to use at least a 5wt for small streams as well. I have a few 7'6" 4wt's, but prefer the faster rods. The faster rods toss line easier for me, and throw tighter loops. Maybe a Sage Flight, St. Croix Legend Ultra, or maybe St. Croix makes a 7'6" 5wt. Best to try before buying, unless you buy from a store that excepts returns.