View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Prescription Fishing Glasses

Good info, but I wanted to throw out a semi-correction, and a solution to a problem cited.

I think "Transition lenses" are more commonly thought of as the photochromic lenses that darken with exposure to sunlight. They're officially called "Transitions lenses" to be completely accurate. They also aren't necessarily bi/tri-focal at all.

I've actually just gotten them in my everyday glasses, and while they would be handy when fishing in non-bright conditions, they've got one major downfall: there are no photochromic lenses that get fully clear that are also polarized. There are some polarized sunglasses that get darker in strong sunlight and lighter in less bright conditions, but none that are polarized and go all the way to clear.

I have a pair of polarized prescription sunglasses as well, and they're mostly great, except that the weight of the 100% hard plastic frames and lenses (large coverage on a large head= heavy) frequently want to slip down. However, all I have to do is add a "Chums" style retainer, and that stops. They don't even have to be tight, the counterbalancing weight prevents slippage.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.