View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 12:11 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Started Tying My First Copper Johns But...

I do it exactly like Ard...unless you own a fly shop, you're just not going to have everything that is called for. Many materials are great duplicates; and I can't remember when I read a recipe that I had everything exactly as prescribed. Hooks are the same way as far as I'm concerned...others may disagree, but you can get creative here also; the fish don't know (most of the time). You can fudge a size every now and then, especially when you have the next size up or down in shorer or longer lengths. What you put on the hook is way more important than having the exact hook. For example...I just tied a dozen bh hares ears. I wanted half 14's and half 16's. Just so happens that I got a big 100 pack of size 16 2xl nymphs hooks, so instead of tying 14's and 16's, I tied 16-2xl's and 16's in standard length. The size difference is just about the same.

It is true that the original recipes are tried and true, but if your copper john has most of the same coloring, size, etc. just make due like MoscaPescador said, put a couple strands of crystal flash side by side.