View Single Post
Old 05-16-2011, 12:31 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rainbow Trout Pics

Tom: Thanks. Yesterday I took a couple up to the Grey Reef, the gal had never fly fished (she was one of Rose's cancer nurses) and the boyfriend knew very little, but had his own fly rod. I got the boat launched and rods rigged with nymphs and found a spot where I could pull over and teach the gal to let the rig drift to the end of the line, pull up slightly to let the water load and then flip it upstream to do another drift. On the second drift while demonstrating, I hooked into a very nice brown trout (20-21") she fought that fish for 4-5 minutes and finally got it's head out of the water and was sliding it toward the boat when it did a head shake and was gone. The boyfriend wouldn't listen to me, he wanted to cast the triple nymph rig in a +20 mph wind resulting in constant wind knots. He probably lost 10 fish by either not striking early or doing the Bass Master imitiation and trying to pull their lips off. Anyway, late in the float I finally got him to doing a fairly good drift and he hooked and landed that nice rainbow, boy was he excited. Anyway, considering the wind and their first time nymphing it was a good day and maybe I have converted the boyfriend to fly fishing.

Larry