View Single Post
Old 05-16-2011, 05:21 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm going to need a bigger rod.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabi View Post
I keep a 6wt behind the seat in my truck, but the small fish are a lot of fun on the 3wt. I may switch to the 6wt for late evening trips.
I could take the 8wt, but then I'd be sure to hook nothing bigger than a 5" crappie.

My first thought was carp, but it landed with it's belly facing me and it's head looked to be wide & blunt, so I decided it was probably a flathead. There are some big flatheads in the lake (50#+ put in several years ago before the DNR frowned so strongly on re-locating them), but I've never seen one "sound", so I'm questioning my identification. Either way, it would be memorable to hook one that size on a fly rod! I doubt if I could land it, but it would be a "fish tale" worthy of repeating to friends and family for years to come.
I've caught 15-25 lb Carp on a 5WT. Just make sure you have enough backing. They run like hell but they don't kick and scream like Bass or panfish do. I've had Carp spool me 3 times on the 5WT before landing them. Get that 3WT back in the water and hold on for the ride