View Single Post
Old 05-16-2011, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: It's weenie time

Looks like a fun day. The best advice I can offer on whether a fish is wild or the result of stocking is to check the teeth. Stock trout and wild trout of comparable size will have a drastic difference in development of teeth. The stock fish will have teeth similar to #40 grid sandpaper while the stream born fish will have real teeth. I don't know the exact cause for this phenomenon but my best 'educated guess' is the rapid growth rate of the hatchery reared fish. The body quite likely grows disproportionately to the ability for the animals ability to produce the teeth to match. You can look at the fins, the coloration and if harvested, you can check the coloration of the flesh but I go to the teeth first. I could get more technical than that with my guess work but if you start to check them out you'll get the idea of what I'm saying here.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;