View Single Post
Old 08-28-2005, 10:59 AM

bbanking will become famous soon enoughbbanking will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Your best tip for saltwater fly fishing

I agree with all of the above. Go light...pick the best saltwater rod and reel with the least amount weight you can find. Pick a quality saltwater fly line. The sun and heat make different lines react in strange ways. Cortland's 444 Lazer Tropic, 444 SL Saltwater and Scientific Anglers Mastery species specific lines and very good picks. Stay away from Orvis Wonderline and other similar lines. Then practice...practice...practice for presentation, distance and accuracy. Unlock your elbow from your hip and cast with your shoulder. I totally agree with dougm, the wind is not your friend and your trout casting style just won't do it in the salt. A good guide will usually tell you how and when to strip or you can cheat like I do. Find a pocket, lagoon or cut where the fish are moving in and out. I cast a fly to a favorable position and let it sit there until I see activity and then strip...it works almost every time for Bonefish and Cuda because I am not spooking them. With this method, my presentation and distance are not factors and I catch a lot of fish. I know this method is not for purist, but you can sure catch a lot of fish and the strike and fight are the same. Tom, www.pescamexicana.com