View Single Post
Old 05-18-2011, 09:44 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: NEW Nautilus FWX 3/4 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Thank you for this well thought out review. I have had some interest in this series of reels and you sealed the deal for me with one of your observations; the non-linearity of the drag setting. In all reels, from light trout to tarpon, linearity of setting and stability, wet or dry, once set are the crucial performance criteria. Back to my first choice in sealed drag reels, Hatch.
I'm not an apologist for this new reel, but it is 40% cheaper than the similar sized Hatch. However, I don't know why they couldn't change that drag system without incurring too much cost per unit. It would be worth another 20-40 bucks to have a nice indexed drag system.

And, I kinda disagree with you if you will give me the liberty. I don't think that linearity of setting is all that crucial on a 3-4wt trout reel. I've seldom used the drag at all, and I don't see a problem changing this on the fly; A slight nudge one way or the other gives you a slight adjustment. It would be nice to have very deep distince clicks...but I'm not sure if I'll ever lose a fish over this. If it were that "crucial" why haven't click/pawl reels gone by the wayside? Because Palming always works, and drag is seldom engaged on small reel. I'd say it was a luxury that was left out, not a crucial component.

Last edited by ausablebrown; 05-18-2011 at 10:01 PM.