View Single Post
Old 05-19-2011, 08:34 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: NEW Nautilus FWX 3/4 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Well I did say from trout to tarpon...and true enough, not much drag is needed with a #3 outfit. My personal interest is in a #5/6 reel that would be used on larger rivers. I still use an old Orvis CFO on some smaller streams but am of the view that a smooth predictable drag helps even experienced anglers land a large wild trout X% faster aiding in its safe release. I will not accepts design flaws in my equipment even if they pose but minimal and over-comable disadvantages. I, again, thank you for pointing them out so articulately for, even if they don't effect your specific purposes, they are magnified as the model size of reel increases for more powerful game fish.

The larger sizes of the FW, were disliked for just this reason. Many people didnt really like the fw 5 and especially the fw7 because it was a salmon sized reel with a trout sized drag. Especially with a 7+ spool I think the capacity was for 9 or even 10 wt line...

I don't know why they did a complete redesign of the reel frame, and clutch but failed to redesign the only aspect of the reel that got complaints, the drag??? I read probably a couple dozen reviews about the old FW and the only complaint that ever surfaced was the weak drag.