View Single Post
Old 05-20-2011, 11:54 PM

Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Re: Just moved to Cali

You likely correct about thinking July as nearly every bit of running water I'm aware of is blown out. Sometimes though you can fish the edges when rivers are high with good success as the fish will stack up in areas near the bank with slow moving water and in back eddies to get out the heavy current caused by the high flows. I did that with two beautiful wild Rainbows last weekend on the Lower Yuba River in Northern CA. when it was running at least 5000 cfs. for both of those fish I simply found some steep drop offs near shore and indicator nymphed from shore using lots of weight to get them down quickly. It was tough fishing I started at about 8:30 a.m. and didn't catch my first fish till nearly 3:30 p.m. after taking an hour brake for lunch as I was on a Fly Fishing club outing. Most of us caught about 2 fish each though one member found spot where there were several nice fish and he caught 8. So if your are really iching to wet a line and don't mind working high water may not be reason to stay away, just plan of staying fishing close to shore and avoid wading if possible and stay in slow water near shore if you to wade.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.