View Single Post
Old 05-24-2011, 10:16 AM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Salmonfly hatch on the Deschutes...

What part of the river were you fishing? I am going to head up to Maupin on Saturday for a full day and see what happens. I am hoping that they are starting to key in on the big flies, as the few reports I've read said that they are slowly starting to take them at the surface. Next weekend should be golden.

Keep in mind too that the river is way up. It's been pretty swollen for several weeks at this point. I fished it hard a few weekends back and get a few rises to an adams, one smolt on the same adams and one absolute pig on a copper john that spit the hook after about 10 seconds. I bet the river will be more fishable by mid-June if we don't have much rain, but some are predicting July before it's ideal. I've read that you can fish the golden stone hatch lower on the river a few weeks after peak of the salmonfly hatch, which should coincide with lower water. You can reach the lower river via I-84 and it's only an hour and fifteen minutes from downtown Portland. Though, you have to hike a good distance to reach the best water (2-5 miles).

Also, it's always a good idea to tie a size 16-18 pheasant tail as a dropper off your bigger bug (either dry or nymph). I've been told that a green rockworm is an effective dropper during the salmonfly hatch as well. Unless I see a lot of rises, I plan to fish a kauffmans stone with a pheasant tail/rockworm dropper until about noon, and then switch over to a dry-dropper. Steelhead have been known to take the rockworm on occasion too

---------- Post added at 08:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 AM ----------

Oh, and PS, Mecca Flats is going to be an absolute zoo in early June, especially if the river is in shape. Expect to hike to avoid bumping elbows with other fisherman.