View Single Post
Old 05-24-2011, 01:30 PM

fireroad is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Introductory Rod for a beginner..

Alot of good advice so far, you would do well with an 8' to 8'6" 4 or 5wt. In your neck of the woods and 8'0" 4 wt is the "go to" rod much like the 9'0" 5wt is out west.

Lessons are the best investment, and lessons while on the water are even better as you learn to cast and read the river.

The one thing I would politely disagree with is the sporting goods store outfits. You can cruise fleabay and get yourself a much better rod and reel for the same price. The benefit being is that if fly fishing turns out not to be your thing you can always sell the stuff for close to what you paid for it. I would look for the following models, catch them at the right time and you can get them cheap:

Sage: DS, DS2, VPS, Launch
St Croix: Avid, Reign or cheaper Premier, Rio Santo
TFO: Pro or even the Finese

Also, no resale value but...my wife has Cortland Cl and it is a fine casting rod.

I feel, dollar for dollar, you can't beat St.Croix for entry level rods. They give you a mighty fine blank and keep the cost down through the components. I started with a premier and wished I never sold it. I have and avid and it is sweet, I fish it as much as my much more expensive rods.

Last edited by fireroad; 05-24-2011 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Fat fingers...