View Single Post
Old 05-24-2011, 05:29 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of
Default Re: 3 wt. question--

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
I'd bet its the carpenter, not the tool.
Normally, I'd agree with you, but you haven't seen my impeccable cast. In fact they don't call me Tony "the Hack Job" Hacksterson for nothing, you know....

I also agree that the 3 wt. isn't the tool of choice if pin-point accuracy at 40+ feet is a regularity-- fortunately it is not a common distance. There is just a nice little pocket that looks really fishy back there and I wanted to explore- and happened to be fishing my 3 wt. at the time.

By the way: went back with a 5 wt. another day and reached it without issue. Guess what? No bites in my fishy looking pocket either.

And Mike: I know what you mean about breezes and flies with the lighter rod... It was a 14 BH nymph. As to the measuring my distance-- I am just basing off of my mark at 30' on the fly line that I put on all of my lines. I make the mark because that is what is typically considered the working line length.

Looks like I'm gonna have to concede that I am just not a good enough caster to get my 3 wt. into that pocket. Oh well.

I would be curious as to others that fish 3 wts. with some consistency experiences with the tracking and accuracy of their casts. (we all make casts that look fantastic-- right by that particular hold or tree or whatever-- unfortunately, we were aiming for the other hold several feet away).... LOL.