View Single Post
Old 05-25-2011, 12:41 PM

rangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud of
Default Re: 3 wt. question--

I'm not an expert caster, but I do have the same exact Cabela's combo. So, take whatever I say with a grain of salt.

I can cast this rig 40 ft, but I can't recall ever catching a fish at that distance with it. It took me some time to get comfortable with this rod, but once I learned to let the rod do 90% of the work I started to really enjoy fishing with it. Also, almost all the streams I fish are about 20 ft wide at their widest, so most of my casts tend to be under 20 ft.

I have just learned to double haul this year with any consistency, but I was single hauling on the forward cast most of last year, and this can help straighten out my casts with this little rod. But I can't haul very hard; mostly it's just a wrist haul. I use this trick a lot when I fish my 3 wt. from my tube, but it works just as well when I'm on my feet.

Peace.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark