View Single Post
Old 05-12-2008, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to fish a dry fly (beginner's question)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbu311 View Post
Hi all,

I'm new to fly fishing. After I've cast a dry fly, am I supposed to just let it float downstream without reeling in, except for maybe twitching the fly? Is there ever a case where I'd want to reel it in?

How about nymphs and streamers? Do I reel those in? If so, what type of retrieve?

Thanks in advance,
jbu

Hi jbu,
Normally when fishing 'Dries' you want to let them drift downstream with a 'dragfree float' with no movement, but as you mentioned there are times when you do want to 'twitch' the fly(usually a bigger bug that is trying to regain flight or get to the bank).

As far as reeling in... 'NO' you want to retrieve your fly line by 'stripping' it in, you do that by pulling it back to you thru the guides.
There are many different retrieves used in flyfishing, and that is part of the 'Learning Curve' associated with F/F.

Your reel is used primarily for storing line or fighting fish.
Use the 'Search' feature and look under 'retrieves', you should find plenty of info on the various types there.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."