View Single Post
Old 05-13-2008, 05:30 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice
Default Early Season smallmouth

I don't know if any one here tries this, but it's a blast. The blister is just healing up from my finger on Saturday, from Smallmouth stripping flyline against my rod! All you need is a nice rocky, sandy bay, a good fast 6 or 7 weight rod. A quality line for long cast, a handful of Clousers, cone head Wooly Buggers and cone-head leach's, A decent day (Cold front days are tough) and wind under 70 mph or so.

Basically all of the Great Lakes have this kind of fishery available and fifty fish plus days aren't uncommon. My biggest fish so far was a 24" seven pounder last year, but I expect to break four pounds on a fish at least once every time I'm out. Just look for rocky sheltered bays with some sand on the bottom and a water temp of at least 50. It's already started on Lake Huron, and I Imagine Lake Erie, and Ontario. The Northern Lakes will fish good till late June, early July some years. I get most of my fish wading in three feet of water or less. I landed thirty between 16-19" on Saturday and it was a slow day.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.