Thread: Creep
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2011, 03:51 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
Here is a video someone put up on Youtube which is a perfect example of "creep". " Creep" is the shortening of the available casting arc by unintentionally rotating the rod tip forward during the "pause". It is a common casting fault with intermediate anglers and I think it is aggrivated by today's superfast tip-action rods......

The fix for this is "drift" after the stop. That is, moving the rod butt via the casting arm back and up after the "stop" to EXTEND the available casting arc instead of shortening it. The rod tip should move back not forward during this move.

Cheers,
Jim

I agree that the video shows rod creep.

However, I think drift and creep are two different rod moves. I don't think drifting the rod tip backward always cures creep because I still think a caster can drift a rod back, stop the drift and then creep the rod tip forward before beginning the casting move. In fact one does NOT have to actually move the rod hand backward to get backward drift of the rod tip.

See the discussion of Al Kyte below where he discusses drift.

"Apparently a rod may either be drifted farther back or drifted into a different angle, and moving your hand back is just one way to drift a rod."

http://www.fedflyfishers.org/Portals...Kyte/drift.pdf