Thread: Creep
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2011, 10:05 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Creep

Quote:
However, I think drift and creep are two different rod moves.
I agree that drift and creep are completely different moves. The defintion of creep is still up in the air as far as I know. To my way of thinking, Creep is unintentional rod rotation in the direction of the next cast (which shortens the available casting arc for the next stroke). Drift is rod rotation in the direction of the current cast which increases the available casting arc for the next stroke. They are complete opposites. I hope I didn't screw up a previous post with lousy wording.

Quote:
I don't think drifting the rod tip backward always cures creep because I still think a caster can drift a rod back, stop the drift and then creep the rod tip forward before beginning the casting move.
That is certainly possible, given enough time, but there is no cure on the planet I'm aware of that will cure anything all of the time. So if someone is creeping, and you get him to start drifting back and extending his casting arc- he can't be creeping while he is drifting. So you've got him focused on the problem. You can also do as Jackster said and have him watch the position of his casting hand. Or you can stand behind him and shove your hand in front of the rod so he can't rotate it forward (presuming forward creep) until it's time for the forward cast.

Quote:
In fact one does NOT have to actually move the rod hand backward to get backward drift of the rod tip.
Absolutely not! You are 100% correct. You can simply bend your wrist. In fact here is a video of Jerry Siem doing just that AFTER creeping and regaining most of, if not all of, the lost available casting arc. He is drifting while he is moving his rod hand FOREWARD in fact. However, I would not advocate this as a teaching method to counteract creep.

YouTube - ‪Jerry Siem Casting at the Denver Show‬‏

And here is another of Steve Rajeff doing a very quick drift while winning another US Distance Championship, to regain lost casting arc due to rebound after RSP2.

( RSP1, Rod Straight Position 1, is when the rod becomes straight again after the stop while unloading, then it Counterflexes,bending toward the ground , stops in the bent down position, then rebounds through RSP2. ..

He may not be actually moving his hand forward as he drifts, but it is very close. I would not advocate this as a teaching method either - effective though it is for Steve Rajeff. The turnaround timing is absolutely critical, and you'll notice that he is watching his backcast like an osprey watches mullet.

I haven't read Al Kyte's article you linked to in quite a while, but will read it again when I get a chance. As I recall, it wasn't about teaching methods, just about drifting and it's effects on a cast.

If you have some suggestions on the best cure for creep, I'm all ears as I'm sure everyone else is. We're all here to learn, and tell fishing tales (and just bullshit).

Cheers,
Jim

Last edited by wjc; 06-05-2011 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Red: hard to describe properly.