View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 02:07 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of
Default Re: Salmonfly hatch on the Deschutes...

Final installment....

Took the family to Kah nee ta resort on the Warm Springs Reservation. The wife loved it and it was great for the kids and i was very close to the Deschutes for what will likely be my final shot at fishing the Salmonfly hatch this year. Thankfully it turned out to be a very rewarding, imo, trip

Since we were with an Indian guide we were able to fish the reservation side of the river. Hardly any pressure from other anglers on this side. I took a cousin with me who is a new fly fisherman and we hit the water about 2pm and within 10 mins i landed my first fish.

After some early significant struggles my cousin recieved some on the water lessons from the guide and after about 40 mins he had his first fish.

Click the image to open in full size.

I landed five fish in the first hour. The largest being 16"...

Things slowed down after that as we worked our way along the river. We had about 1.5 miles to cover to get to the car.

I experienced a lot of frustration with what seemed to be big fish breaking off my fly or my blood knot letting go with ease. Over the course of the day i lost 5 decent sized fish to these problems.

Things picked up again around dusk and i landed a few more fish. Right at the end of the day i landed my two biggest fish. I landed a 17" Redside and thought i had a new largest for my outing. Four casts later i hooked a strong one.

This guy wasnt going to stick around. He promptly headed out into the river and down stream. He took me down to my backing. It took me 15 mins to land him. I wasnt intentionally over playing him either. Once i got him to the net he measured 18.5" in length and was 4" from back fins to his big fat bug filled belly....

That was a fantastic fish. I gave him a kiss in thanks and then released him back to the river fully revived. What a great ending to a great day.

I ended the day with 12 fish to net. Unfortunately my cousin only got the one. The wind and bushes gave him extra troubles to deal with in addition to his learning to cast.

We were able to to spend a few hours on the river bank the next day late afternoon. It was very slow. I caught only one and we didnt see any other anglers catch any during our time there. It was a beautiful fish though....

Our long weekend then concluded and we returned home on Tuesday.

Thanks for reading....