05-18-2008, 09:59 PM
Re: Choice of lines
I've found the better lines to give the following benefits:
- Tapers up the wazoo! If you can't find a line to match your needs exactly then sell your fly rods. There are almost too many choices
- Long life. I have been VERY impressed with how long my lines last in normal usage. The only lines failure I've had in 20 years have been self-induced (Stepping on the line, dragging them across sharp edges, house cats, errant cigarette butts )
- Slickness. Really shake off dirt and shoot through guides well.
- Low maintenance. They are a snap to maintain. Soap and water and maybe a swipe or two with a cleaning pad and you are good to go.
- Colors. Take your choice, from glow-in-the-dark to the color of stealthy blue herons.
- Welded loops. Make changing leaders easy and aid in floating the line tip.
- Temperature specific. You can get lines that won't melt in the tropics and others that don't coil and crack in cold water.
- Can get them in 1/2 line weight increments. They can help speed up slow rods and slow down fast rods.